The Association was proposed on the 15th May, 2001 and approval for the name of the Association, “U S Army Small Ships Association Inc.” was sought from the Consul General of the United States of America ,Mrs Eileen A Malloy, and the US Army Military Attache to Australia Colonel Andrew R Manuele.
Colonel Andrew R Manuele informed the US Consul General that:
“The United States Defence Attache Office Canberra has no objection to the request by Mr Ernest A Flint MBE ED to name their organisation The US Army Small Ships Association Incorporated”.
“The US Army Small Ships is the only Veterans organisation we recognise that commemorates the service of The United States Army Small Ships Section during WW11.”
Mrs Eileen A Malloy, Consul General for the United States of America, stated that Colonel Andrew R Manuele had informed her :
“The US Department of Defence has no objection to the use of the name ”U S Army Small Ships Association Inc.”
“The US Army Small Ships Section, made up exclusively of Australian Merchant Seamen, served with distinction while supporting US Military Operations in the Pacific from 1942 – 1945. Mr Ernest A Flint a veteran of the Small Ship section during the war, represents the only acknowledged group of veterans from the Section in the World”.
Mrs Eileen A Malloy, Consul General for the United States of America stated:
“It would be entirely correct and appropriate for the Organisation to be registered under the name “US Army Small Ships Association Inc”.
A Certificate of Incorporation was issued by the Department of Fair Trading on the 10th September, 2003.
The US Army Small Ships Association Inc became a Chapter of the American Merchant Marine Veterans Association, to be known as “The Small Ship Mariners” as from the 25th September 2005,
The only Chapter of the American Merchant Veterans Association, outside of the United States.
U.S. Army Small Ships Section Members Reunion
An Annual Memorial Service & Luncheon is held in the Grace Hotel York & King Streets Sydney annually. The Grace Hotel was known as the Grace Buildings during WW11 and was the Administration Office for Small Ships Section from 1942 – 1947
A plaque commemorating this fact was installed on the 15th May 2001, in the presence of The Consul General for the United States of America, Richard L Greene, the U.S. Army Colonel Michael J Baier, Association President Ernest A Flint M.B.E., E.D. and Heinz J Colby representing The Grace Hotel.
Colonel Fred S Lydick, Chief Community Relations & Outreach Division of the US Army, Pentagon gave his permission for the Plaque to be installed and the wording thereon, he stated as follows:
“ I am proud to represent the United States Army in officially authorising this Memorial recognising the brave Australian and Americans who served together in the US Army Small Ships in WWII.”
The composition of the original Committee was as follows ; President Ernest Flint MBE ED, Vice-President Howard Leayr ,Treasurer Patrick Curtis M.B.E., Secretary Daniel O’Brien, Committee Members, Ernest Emerson and Captain John Evans A.M.